RYA Day Skipper Sailing Practial
The RYA Day Skipper Practical Course is for those who wish to skipper a yacht during day light hours. This is a scary thought for many and is a huge step from being a RYA Competent Crew member.
Lanzarote is ideal with calm, clear tidal waters, year-round sunshine and an almost constant wind and beautiful clean cosmopolitan marinas. There is nowhere better.
The RYA Day Skipper Tidal Practical Course is designed to show and instruct you, on how to take command safely and confidently of a yacht in known waters by day. As a skipper you have many responsibilities.
Our knowledgeable and calm instructors will coach you in these techniques and guide you through step by step, and then you will hone your skills by skippering designated passages in the beautiful seas of Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. You will visit different anchorages and marinas, and you will plan a passage and a pilotage plan and put it into practice. Also included is night sailing to allow you to experience the joy and awe of sailing at night as well as some of the problems in identifying different lights and landmarks at night.
If you successfully completeted the course you will have shown that you are a safe and competent in skippering a yacht in known waters during the day and will be issued the RYA Day Skipper completion certificate.
This qualification will also allow you to apply for the ICC (International Certificate of Competence). This qualification is required by most charter companies to show your competence charter a yacht. The ICC, can be obtained through the RYA (free of charge if you are member).
As you can stay on the boat, for an extra 2 days there is also time to experience the island from the land. A must is the stunning Timanfaya Volcano, or explore one of the white washed villages. Or how about a trip to a local bodega (vine yard) to see how the local wine is made. For the more adventurous who want to go to sea again how about some sea fishing for Wahoo, Blue Merlin or Tuna.
- Its safe navigation, which includes passage planning and pilotage
- The correct sail choice
- How to berth your yacht, and leave your berth, in a variety of conditions and manners including finger pontoons and alongsides
- How to anchor and determine the correct anchorage
- Seamanship including maintenance, which includes routine engine checks, and servicing of the safety equipment on board
- Their well fare - victualling, watch keeping
- Safety of your crew - safety equipment, both boat safety equipment and personal safety equipment.
- 5 days - Sunday to Friday
Previous Experience Required
- 5 days aboard as an active crew member
- 100 recorded miles
- 4 night hours
- Theory knowledge to Day Skipper Standard - please read the RYA Day Skipper Theory Syllabus to ascertain if your knowledge is to this level.
Pre course preparations
The following literature has been designed to help you with learning some of the key words you are going to hear during your course.
Please download the Pre-course reading material here.
- Accommodation on board for the duration of the course + Friday night at the end of the course free of charge and if you need to stay on board on the Saturday night after the course we charge a nominal fee of £15 (be aware though that at weekends we may need access to the boat in the day ).
- Welcome drink on arrival
- Bedding (Duvet and 2 pillows)
- Towels (Hand and bath towel)
- All breakfasts
- All lunches (including homemade cake!)
- 1 evening meal with wine
- Use of wet weather gear
- Use of lifejackets and safety lines
- All mooring fees including water and electricity
Price Per Person
Bookings & Info
Due to our year round sunshine we run these courses 52 weeks of the year, therefore please contact me regarding availability.
Our courses run Monday to Friday but we meet you at 1830 on the Sunday before, when we settle you onto the boat and give you a short safety brief so everyone is ready to start on the Monday morning.
Recommended RYA Books
To help you in your personal preparation for the course we can advise the following book/s.
If you click on the link it will take you directly to the RYA website to the appropriate page where you can order it and have it dispatched directly to you.
|Buy RYA Day Skipper Handbook - Sail at the RYA Shop|
|Buy RYA Navigation Handbook at the RYA Shop|
|Buy Rules of the Road Cockpit Card at the RYA Shop|
|Buy Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook at the RYA Shop|
You will also need to have a copy of the RYA logbook, if you do not have a copy already. This can either be purchased via the RYA using the link above and bringing with you or you can purchase direct from us when you arrive for 13.00 euros.