RYA Competent Crew Sailing Course
The RYA Competent Crew Course is a popular course and shows someone new to sailing the techniques involved and the thrills of sailing. Being blessed with a beautiful climate we can run this course fifty two weeks of the year.
This makes Lanzarote an ideal location to learn to sail. When you´re not at sea there are also loads of great things to do and see. For example no visit to Lanzarote is complete without a visit to the Timanfaya National Park.
The Competent Crew course is ideal
- If you have no experience,
- If you are moving up from dinghy sailing,
- If you have had some crewing experience in the past but want to learn more and also want to understand why they are doing certain tasks.
By the end of the course you will be a confident and competent crew member, with the week structured to provide you with a balance of enjoyment, relaxation and learning in a secure and encouraging environment.
We cater for the single traveller as well, and these courses are ideal, giving you the chance to meet other people and make new friends. Single females will always be guaranteed their own cabin.
You will learn the principles of becoming a crew member
- Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a yacht, her rigging and sails
- Sail handling
- Tying the knots we use
- Safety including personal safety, man overboard drills, emergency equipment and fire precautions
- Experience living on board a cruising yacht
- Rules of the road
- Helmsmanship (steering)
During the RYA competent Crew course you will be on board the yacht and you will visit many of the beautiful marinas and anchorages around Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. Whilst at anchor you will have the opportunity to swim off the back of the yacht in the clear waters.
Our knowlegeable and experienced instructors are patient, reassuring and fun. You will also experience sailing at night which is an exhilarting experience.
On successful completion you will be issued with the RYA Competent Crew Certificate which will show you to be a valuable crew member.
- 5 days - Sunday - Friday.
- 3 days if you already have RYA Start Yachting certificate.
- 3 days if you already have the RYA Start Sailing Level 1 and RYA Start Sailing Level 2 certificate
Previous Experience Required
The following literature has been designed to help you with learning some of the key words you are going to hear during your course.
Please download the Pre-Course reading material as a pdf file below.
Pre-Course Reading Competent Crew
- Please download the Pre-course reading material here.
- Accommodation on board for the duration of the course + Friday night at the end of the course free of charge and if you need to stay on board on the Saturday night after the course we charge a nominal fee of £15 (be aware though that at weekends we may need access to the boat in the day ).
- Welcome drink on arrival
- Bedding (Duvet and 2 pillows)
- Towels (Hand and bath towel)
- All breakfasts
- All lunches (including homemade cake!)
- 1 evening meal with wine
- Use of wet weather gear
- Use of life jackets and safety lines
- All mooring fees including water and electricity
Price Per Person
Bookings & Info
Due to our year round sunshine we run these courses 52 weeks of the year, therefore please contact me regarding availability
Recommended RYA Books
To help you in your personal preparation for the course we can advise the following book/s.
If you click on the link it will take you directly to the RYA website to the appropriate page where you can order it and have it despatched directly to you.
|Buy RYA Competent Crew (2nd Edition) Handbook at the RYA Shop|
|Buy RYA Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook at the RYA Shop|
You will also need to have a copy of the RYA logbook, if you do not have a copy already. This can either be purchased via the RYA using the link below and bring it with you or you can purchase direct from us when you arrive for 12.00 euros.