RYA Competent Crew to Day Skipper Fast Track
For many people the RYA Day Skipper course is probably the most important. This is the minimum level which most charter companies will accept for you to bare boat charter.
At Endeavour Sailing we have developed our Day Skipper Fast Track Programme with this in mind and we want you to feel confident in taking a boat out on your own for the first time.
Our Day Skipper Fast Track programme allows you to progress smoothly and confidently to Day Skipper level. We believe the 4 week programme allows you the best chance to achieve the above goal.
Some schools offer this in a much shorter programme which often leads to failure and also inexperienced Day Skippers, who do not feel confident with taking the boat out on their own. This shorter programme is also extremely intense making for a very stressful few weeks.
Within our programme we also include the VHF Radio Course and give you the completed application form for you to apply for your International Certificate of Competence. These two qualifications are being asked for more and more now as well for Bareboat Charter.
- During this course you will learn the techniques to safely navigate a yacht including passage planning and pilotage.
- How to leave a berth and return to a berth in different conditions and in different ways including finger pontoons, stern to mooring and bows to mooring.
- How to anchor, including where to anchor.
- General Seamanship including routine maintenance such as engine checks, safety equipment on board (use of and maintenance),
- Safety of your crew on board and their well fare.
- VHF radio course.
- Being RYA courses all have a maximum of student to instructor ratio of 5:1
Please find the links to the syllabi for the different courses to give you a thorough understanding of what will be covered during each week of your course.
- Competent Crew Practical Course Syllabus
- Day Skipper Theory Syllabus
- Day Skipper Practical Course Syllabus
- VHF Marine Radio (SRC) Course Syllabus
- 4 weeks
Previous experience required
Pre course preparations
The following literature has been designed to help you with some learning of the key words you are going to use and to get you started.
Recommended RYA Books
We strongly recommend you purchase the RYA Day Skipper Handbook for Sail - this covers everything you will learn during your time with us and is an excellent all round book.
You will also need the RYA Yachtmaster Scheme Syllabus and Logbook - this monitors and records what you have achieved.
NB These books are also for sale here in Lanzarote if you wish to purchase them when you arrive.
- Accommodation on board for the duration of the course & Friday night at the end of the course free of charge and if you need to stay on board on the Saturday night after the course we charge a nominal fee of £15 (be aware though that at weekends we may need access to the boat in the day ).
- Welcome drink on arrival
- Bedding (Duvet and 2 pillows)
- All breakfasts
- All lunches (including homemade cake!)
- 2 evening meals per week
- Use of wet weather gear
- Use of life jackets and safety lines
- All mooring fees including water and electricity
- All training materials and certifications
- Meals ashore
- Transfer from airport
3335€ (per person)
For the 4 week programme commencing on the:
- 28th February 2022
- 28th March 2022
- 25th April 2022
- 23rd May 2022
- 20th June 2022
- 18th July 2022
- 15th August 2022
- 13th September 2022
- 17th October 2022
- 21st November 2022
Note the course will start on the Monday morning, but we meet on the Sunday before at 1830 to settle you onto your boat and give you a short safety brief so you are ready to go on the Monday morning.
- Week 1 Competent Crew
- Week 2 Day Skipper Theory
- Week 3 Close Quarter Boat Handling Skills + VHF Course
- Week 4 Day Skipper Practical
Additional information and bookings