The distress procedure word MAYDAY indicates that a vessel or a person is in grave and immediate danger and that immediate assistance is required. All Mayday voice calls are sent on Channel 16 on high power.
The voice call is divided into 2 parts
- MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY
- THIS IS SAILING YACHT HELPME, HELPME, HELPME
- MMSI 234178490 CALLSIGN MBC5
- MAYDAY, SAILING YACHT HELPME, MMSI 234178490 CALLSIGN MBC5
- MY POSITION IS 45˚ 47'.85N 005˚ 47'. 72W (or) 315˚T 1.15M from Beauty Point.
- I AM HOLED AND SINKING
- I REQUIRE IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE
- 5 PERSONS ON BOARD, ABANDONING TO LIFE RAFT