To help you we are putting together a series of FAQ's which may help you to answer your questions. We will be building up the FAQ's in this section continously. If you do not find an answer to your question or if there is any thing you would like more specific information on please let us know.
How many students are there on a boat?
Endeavour Sailing believes you learn in small classes that maximise YOUR time sailing and YOUR time with the instructor. Our class sizes average 3-4 per instructor (once in a while we may have to extend this to 5).
My flights are Sunday to Sunday where can I find accommodation?
Flights into Lanzarote are in general on a Thursday or a Sunday. If you wish to arrive early we can help recommend some accommodation. If you arrive on the Sunday we can be flexible with our start time, all you need to do is let us know what time your flight arrives. You may stop onboard on the Friday night after the course free of charge, if you require the Saturday night as well to tie in with your flights home we charge a nominal fee of £15 per person. All we ask is that you pack your bags by 10am on the Sunday. You may leave them on the boat, but we need to get the boats ready for the new crew.
What is the difference in the courses?
The Competent Crew course is designed to teach inexperienced sailors to sail. The primary focus on this course is safety procedures and boat handling. The Day Skipper Course is for sailors who wish to sail their own yacht or charter, in the day time, the course also includes a 4 hour night hours to allow you to experience the joys of night sailing and also the difficulties The Coastal and Yachmaster courses are less instructional and focus on developing and honing your existing skills.
What course should I take?
This varies with sailing experience. Please contact us and we help you decide which course would be most appropriate.
What will be on board?
- Bath Towels
- Hand Towels
- Hand Soap
- Hand Lotion
- Selection of Sun Creams (we do advise though you bring your own to ensure correct sun protection factor for your skin type)
- All MCA (Maritime and Coastguard Agency) Safety equipment including life jackets
- Wet Weather Gear
- All Breakfasts
- All Lunches
- 1 Evening meal – we have the ability to provide a wide variety of foods in an attempt to meet most dietary requirements.
- Navigation equipment - plotters, dividers etc.
What other charges are there?
Our prices are inclusive - boat, instructor, breakfasts, lunches, 1 evening meal , running expenses i.e mooring fees, water, electricity. Not included are meals ashore, and other expenses incurred ashore.
What will the weather be like?
The weather in the Canaries is very stable with little variation in temperature throughout the year, making it the most ideal place for winter sun.
What should I bring?
- Please pack in a collapsible bag, for easy stowage
- Sun Protection - The sun in the Canaries is strong all year round making sun protection a must. A sun hat is also recommended.
- Sun glasses
- Sailing gloves
- Boat friendly shoes (white or light soles, no heels, comfortable)
- RYA log book (if you do not have one we can supply one at a cost of 13.00 euros)
- Shorts and t shirts
- Light trousers
- Light long sleeved shirt for sun protection
- Bathing equipment - when at anchor your may wish to swim.
- Light weight jumper - can be cold on the night sail
- Personal care equipment (Shampoo, deodorant, prescription medicines etc..)
- Anti sea sickness tablets - especially if not an experienced sailor. We use Stugeron, but please consult with your pharmacist.
What should I leave at home?
- Our boats have a great deal of storage for a boat, but it is still a boat. There is limited or no room for large bulky luggage so please do NOT bring..
- Large Suitcases
- Hard Shell Suitcases
- Your worries
- Dark or hard soled shoes
- Too many clothes!
How do I get to the Marina from the Airport?
The Marina is approximately 10 minutes from the airport and there are many taxis outside the terminal. The average cost of the taxi is €23. We will endeavour to keep you informed of any other clients arriving on the same flight so you can share a taxi to reduce costs.
Are gratuities expected by skippers?
This is entirely at your discretion.
What should I do to get ready for the courses before I arrive?
Assure your passport is up to date.
Ensure your theory is up to date for the course you are doing.
Get ready to have some fun!!!
What is your cancellation policy?
The deposit is non refundable and the full course fee is non refundable if cancellation is within 60 days prior to your course.
If over 60 days a £75 per person cancellation fee will be charged.
Why should I choose Endeavour Sailing?
The goal of Endeavour Sailing is to provide training and education in sailing, seamanship and safety. We offer unsurpassed quality of training and boats in a superb location. With a wide range of courses, charters and master classes, ensuring something for everyone. At all levels you will be taught by instructors who are not only experienced sailors but also expert instructors. With no hidden costs, it's fantastic value for money.
How do I book a course?