RYA Day Skipper Theory & Practical (Fast track)
The RYA Day Skipper Theory & Practical (Fast track) course is based in Puerto Calero on Lanzarote. This course is over 9 days, starting on a Saturday morning and finishing a week later on the Sunday afternoon.
Divided into the shore phases in the classroom and the sea phase. You will do two days in the classroom, followed by 5 days at sea and then finish with 2 more days in the classroom.
The shore phase a comprehensive introduction to chartwork, navigation, meteorology, lights, International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea (IRPCS) and basics of seamanship. Invaluable for how to start making decisions on board ready for when you start your sea phase. At the end of the week you will have two assessment papers to complete and awarded your certificate.
Skippering a yacht for the first time is often a scary thought but it is a rewarding and thrilling experience. The RYA Day Skipper practical course (sea phase) is designed to teach you to "Take Charge" safely and confidently. A skipper does much more than navigate, you are responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the yacht and crew. These responsibilities include weather forecasting, victualling, engine maintenance, sail selection and handling, passage planning, watch keeping, navigation and pilotage.
Your experienced and patient instructor will teach you these skills and you will put them into practice as you skipper the yacht on short passages around Lanzarote and Fuerteventura. There is particular emphasis on boat handling for Day Skippers and during the course you will practice mooring under various conditions. Students live aboard for the duration of the course and visit many different harbours and anchorages to practice pilotage techniques which, like boat handling, is an essential skill for the aspiring skipper. You will complete at least 4 night hours sailing to experience night pilotage and identify lights.
At the end of the RYA Day Skipper course you will be confident to skipper a cruising yacht on short passages by day. Students who successfully complete the Day Skipper course are awarded the RYA Day Skipper completion certificate. This course will also enable you to apply for the ICC (International Certificate of Competence). This qualification is required by most European countries to validate your competence to own or charter a boat. The ICC, obtained by presenting your RYA Day Skipper certificate, will cover sailing yachts up to 24 metres in length in coastal waters.
- 9 days - Saturday 09.00 until Sunday 17.00
Previous Experience Required
- 5 days aboard with 100 miles logged and 4 night hours
- Basic sailing ability
- Knowledge of basic navigation which is best gained by the RYA Basic Navigation & Safety course
- RYA Day Skipper Theory Packs including charts, course work and course notes book.
- Use of navigation equipment
- Breakfasts and lunches for duration of course
- Tea and coffee
- 1 evening meal with wine during sea phase of course
- Wet weather gear
- Life jackets
- 03rd to the 11th June 2017
- 01st to the 09th July 2017
- 12th to the 20th August 2017
- 02nd to the 10th September 2017
- 30th September to 8th October 2017
- 04th to the 12th November 2017
- 02nd to the 10th December 2017
- 20th to the 28th January 2018
- 17th to the 25th February 2018
- 17th to the 25th March 2018
- 21st to the 29th April 2018
- 19th to the 27th May 2018
- 16th to the 24th June 2018
- 21st to the 29th July 2018
- 18th to the 26th August 2018
- 22nd to the 30th September 2018
- 20th to the 28th October 2018
- 17th to the 25th November 2018
- 15th to the 23rd December 2018
Price Per Person
|29/10/2017 - 31/12/2017||£890|
|01/01/2018 - 24/03/2018||£900|
|28/10/2018 - 31/12/2018||£960|
|26/03/2017 - 28/10/2017||£950|
|25/03/2018 - 27/10/2018||£960|
Bookings & Info
Recommended RYA Books
To help you in your personal preparation for the course we can advise the following book/s.
If you click on the link it will take you directly to the RYA website to the appropriate page where you can order it and have it dispatched directly to you.
You will also need to have the RYA Logbook, if you do not have one already, and you can again purchase this directly from the RYA via the link below or you can purchase one from us upon arrival for seven euros.