First Mate Sailing Course
Unique to Endeavour Sailing we have put together a purely practical course that is designed to increase your practical knowledge and experience. It is an ideal stepping stone between competent crew and day skipper.
The First Mate week will move you from a competent crew member to understanding what is required to make you a confident skipper of a small yacht in familiar waters.
Many people have done competent crew but have not had the opportunity to develop their skills since then or take charge of a yacht, but would like to do so in a controlled, supervised and relaxed environment before moving on to do Day Skipper.
At the end of the course you will be given an Endeavour Sailing Certificate to show what you have achieved, and honest feedback of your abilities, where you have developed and areas you will need to focus on before moving onto your day skipper course.
- Taking charge of the boat and organizing crew confidently in the following situations
- Going in and out of marinas - setting up lines and manoeuvring
- Hoisting and dropping sails
- Man Overboard Drill
- Picking up buoys under sail and power
- Experience of night sailing
- Basic sail trim
- Accommodation on board for the duration of the course and Friday night after the course free of charge and if you need to stay on board on the Saturday night after the course we charge a nominal fee of £15 (be aware though that at weekends we may need to access the boats in the day).
- Welcome drink on arrival
- Bedding (Duvet and 2 pillows)
- Towels (Hand and bath towel)
- All breakfasts
- All lunches (including homemade cake!)
- 2 evening meals with wine
- Use of wet weather gear
- Use of lifejackets and safety lines
- All mooring fees including water and electricity
Price Per Person
|01/01/2017 - 25/03/2017||£530|
|29/10/2017 - 31/12/2017||£530|
|26/03/2017 - 28/10/2017||£570|
- 15th January 2017
- 12th February 2017
- 12th March 2017
- 16th April 2017
- 14th May 2017
- 11th June 2017
- 16th July 2017
- 13th August 2017
- 17th September 2017
- 15th October 2017
- 14th November 2017
- 17th December 2017
Please contact us if you wish to book for different dates to check the availability for you.
Bookings & Info
Recommended RYA Books
Although there is no theory as such within this course we do recommend some per course reading. You can purchase these books direct from the RYA using the links below and the RYA will then post them direct to you.
|Buy RYA Introduction to Boat Handling for Sail and Power at the RYA Shop|
|Buy RYA Sail Trim Handbook - for Cruisers at the RYA Shop|
|Buy RYA Sail Cruising and Yachtmaster Scheme - Syllabus and Logbook at the RYA Shop|
Although this is a non RYA course you can still have your log book signed so please bring along with you. If you do not have one you can order via the RYA using the link below and having it delivered to you at home to bring out with you. Or you can purchase one from us upon arrival for seven euros.