RYA Coastal Skipper Sailing Course
The RYA Coastal Skipper course builds on the skills you will have learnt during your RYA Day Skipper Practical course. Lanzarote offers tidal waters with year round sunshine, making it a pleasure to sail.
The RYA Coastal Skipper Course covers advanced skippering techniques in terms of boat handling and passage planning. Moving you from the shorter day passages at Day Skipper level to longer coastal passages.
The course also focuses on giving you a higher level of independence, crew management, watch-keeping routines and navigating in both day and night, which is often in unfamiliar waters, so a higher level of overall navigational and pilotage skills is required, so it recommended you have passed the RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtsmaster Offshore Theory course prior to attending.
At the successful completion of the RYA Coastal Skipper course you will be awarded the RYA Coastal Skipper Course Completion Certificate and will be able to skipper coastal passages safely and confidently.
You will then have the opportunity at the end of the course to have 2 days ashore (Saturday and Sunday) and explore the delights of Lanzarote. You could hire a bicycle (if still feeling energetic) or a car and travel inland to see the treasures of the island. It may be a trip to Timanfaya or a trip to Cesar Manriques house. Or you may just wish to walk the stunning coastal paths. But with such a wide range of activities/trips available it is the perfect end to the week.
- Skippering techniques and navigation for coastal passages by day and night
- More advanced boat handling and pilotage for experienced Skippers
- 5 days - Sunday to Friday
Previous Experience Required
- 15 days aboard
- 2 days as skipper
- 300 miles logged and 8 night hours
- Knowledge of navigation to RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster theory level
Pre course reading
- Accommodation on board for the duration of the course + Friday at the end of the course free of charge and if you need to stay on board on Saturday night after the course we charge a nominal fee of £15 (be aware though that at weekends we may need access to the boat in the day).
- Welcome drink on arrival
- Bedding (Duvet and 2 pillows)
- Towels (Hand and bath towel)
- All breakfasts
- All lunches (including homemade cake!)
- 1 evening meal with wine
- Use of wet weather gear
- Use of lifejackets and safety lines
- All mooring fees including water and electricity
Price Per Person
|28/10/2018 - 31/12/2018||£540|
|01/01/2019 - 30/03/2019||£550|
|27/10/2019 - 31/12/2019||£550|
|25/03/2018 - 27/10/2018||
|31/03/2019 - 26/10/2019||
Bookings & Info
Due to our year round sunshine we can run these courses 52 weeks of the year, therefore please contact me regarding availability.
Recommended RYA Books
To help you in your personal preparation for the course we can advise the following book/s.
If you click on the link it will take you directly to the RYA website to the appropriate page where you can order it and have it despatched directly to you.
|RYA Navigation Handbook||Ebook
|RYA Yachtmaster Handbook||Ebook
|RYA Weather Handbook Norhtern Hemisphere||Ebook
|RYA Manual of Seamanhip||Ebook
Paper-book - no longer available
|RYA International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea||Ebook
|RYA Stability and Buoyancy||Ebook
|RYA Passage Planning||Ebook
If you do not have an RYA log book you can also order this directly from the RYA using the link below and bring this with you, or you can purchase from us for 13.00 euros when you arrive.